Thursday, April 10, 2008

Idol Gives Back- Part II

This is an awesome thing that they do. I am always amazed at the levels of Giving when such an event takes place. So, I start out my comments with a compliment to Nigel and the gang for using some of their clout to do good in the world.

I am also impressed by the celebrities who took the time away from self promotion to be involved in this event.

Now that I have said that I need to express my disappointment that the riveting television event from last year was - while lengthened to 2 1/2 hours did reduced to simply being a celebrity filled telethon asking for money.

While there were small segments from areas around the world that are experiencing poverty I did not feel the heart that was present last year. There were entertaining moments but it felt a bit disjointed.

The dual format (pre-recorded show mixed with live telecast from the studio) as opposed to last years single event at two locations made the whole thing feel surreal. The most obvious example of this is the transition from 'idols' manning the phones to 'idols' performing on stage in completely different attire in the course of sixty seconds - leave alone that they somehow were to have been mystically transported to the Kodac theatre.

These may seem like minor points but to me they made the show pretty bland- like a PBS telethon with a big budget.

As a side note- I did not see David Archuleta anywhere near the phones. What was that about?

But tonight will be the hour long elimination show.

No comments: